It was only a matter of time before our Bad Theology series turned its gaze upon our cars. What we found there could fill a book, my friends.
In fact, the real question became: Is it possible to find good theology on a bumper sticker?
Let’s take a look, shall we?
- First up, a van with conflicting messages:
Don’t think about it too much, my friends. This guy certainly didn’t.
2. This one made me cringe:
Never fails to amaze me how lightly some Christians take the crucifixion.
3. Next up, we turn political in a bad way:
I’m guessing anyone who has this on their car doesn’t agree with Black Lives Matter.
They’re entitled to their opinion.
But as Christians, shouldn’t we be sympathetic to marginalized voices, and not be so callous as to imply we are facing the same issues?
4. Let’s turn another direction and give the Lefties a say:
Darn it, Liberals. Sure, you’ve got some humor on the second one, but I really hoped you’d at least try to bridge the divide. (Friendly tip: Don’t leave your car unattended in certain states; it might get keyed.)
5. In any case, let’s hope the Liberal doesn’t run into this guy:
6. Or this one:
7. Every election brings its own brand of Bad Theology, the last one especially so. This was one of the more tasteful I found from the anti-Hillary front:
I wonder if Bill knows she’s the anti-Christ?
8. We have time for a rebuttal:
Sorry, I’m calling this one out too.
Let’s consider the fact that of the 62 million Americans who voted for Trump, there might very well be some decent eggs in the bunch. And again, this bumper sticker isn’t exactly building bridges, is it?
9. Instead, let’s consider this:
I’m willing to give it a shot. How about you?
10. I’m adding this one because it made me giggle and gives us a perfect 10:
To wrap up, here’s a quote a coworker posted at her desk this week (Think of it as her desk’s bumper sticker):
The way we love the people we disagree with is the best evidence of what we really believe. — Bob Goff
And that, my friends, is what we call Good Theology.
We’ll tackle more bumper stickers next week.
Vaya con Dios