Those of you who have been following this blog for more than two days no doubt realize that Feeding on Folly is an animal-friendly community. Pets have been mentioned. Namely, Dog and Cat.
Sadly, Cat departed to that great Kitty Condo in the Sky last February. Since then, our home has been meow-less.
Recently, as in one week ago, we were joined by a new companion. Friends, allow me to introduce to you:
After living with Merricat for a week, I can tell she is a wise and gentle soul. I believe there is much she can teach us, and with that in mind, I made notes of some of her more helpful lessons.
Let us learn from her wise counsel, shall we?
- When entering a new domain, explore every area thoroughly. Every nook and cranny. Especially the crannies. Nooks are good, but crannies are better. After you’ve explored it a good three or four times, check it again. It may have changed in the two minutes you were gone.
- Ferns make great sleeping companions. Perfect for an afternoon nap. Or a mid-morning nap. Or early evening.
Avoid misting time.
- Helping with laundry is not only polite, it can be fun. Especially when the Female Human makes funny noises and plays tug of war with you. Also, warm towels straight from the dryer? Mmm.
- Grooming is essential. Never neglect it. Twenty baths a days is not overdoing it. Consider twenty-two.
- Kitty Weed, aka, Catnip, is marvelous. Daily use recommended.
- When encountering a large canine creature, play it cool. They will not resist your charms for long.
- Small rubber items are not to be trusted. Whether they are pads from electronic devices, ear plugs, or caps you found that no one in the family has any idea where they came from, be watchful! Pounce on them, bat them around, attack from behind! Be wary… they’re sneaky devils.
- Fill your life with music. During the day is great, but nighttime is good too. Like, at 2:00 a.m. That’s a great time.
All the great cat concertos were composed at 2:00 a.m.
- Never eat the first thing you’re offered. Stand your ground and see what else on the table. Better yet, just jump on the table and take what you want.
- In every home, there is a magical door of wonders. When you hear it open, come running and dive in. Or slip in when no one is watching. You won’t regret it.
Unless no one saw you go in and they shut the door and now you’re stuck. That’s the time to sing the song of your people. Loudly.
Honestly. Humans. Am I right?